Updated: April 18, 2021
Cedars acknowledges its current responsibility to actively participate in responding to two public health emergencies. As a key addiction treatment service provider in British Columbia, the collective team at Cedars remains committed to providing essential services to persons struggling with addiction, while balancing the safety of both patients and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic. At Cedars, we are highly focused on exceeding our standards regarding safety for both our staff and patients being responsive to the rapidly changing situation. As a licensed healthcare facility, we are working closely with Island Health, and both provincial and federal health authorities to ensure we are aligned with directives and understand our level of risk. We have engaged our patients and staff in a multitude of preventative measures over the proceeding weeks that have proven to be both timely and prudent – to ensure the highest level of safety for our Cedars community. With these current measures, we have had no cases of COVID-19, but we are committed to not becoming complacent and will continue to monitor this evolving situation with critical attention. This page is a summary of just a few of the measures we have put in place to date:
Admission Screening Criteria for Prospective Patients:
In response to the ongoing need to provide care for persons struggling with addiction, commencing April 1, 2020, admissions at Cedars will resume with the following safeguards:
- Initial telephone assessments will be completed with all individuals as well as family, friends, involved medical professionals and other stakeholders for those attempting to access care at Cedars with an additional COVID-19 specific screening.
- Exclusionary criteria have been implemented to protect those that may be vulnerable, as well as current patients and staff.
- Secondary assessments will be conducted via video with either the Clinical or Medical Directors.
- A third assessment will be conducted via video with the onsite physician.
- A final assessment will be conducted, and the final admission decision will be made by the Managing Director.
- If it is determined that the potential patient is not suitable based upon any of the screening criteria, alternate treatment program recommendations will be made, or a 10-day mandatory quarantine period is recommended prior to reassessment.
Prevention & Sanitization
Cedars has implemented robust sanitization and preventative measures to stop the spread of COVID-19, including but not limited to the following:
- No visitors are permitted on the property and will be stopped at the gate. At this time, only staff and essential medical personnel will be permitted entry.
- Anyone coming onto the property (including scheduled staff) must do a brief health screening before proceeding onsite, including a temperature status.
- Anyone with a temperature meeting or exceeding 38 will not be permitted entry.
- All Cedars staff will be strongly encouraged to wear masks while on-site. If staff can maintain 2 meters distance from patients and staff, or are in their offices working independently, they may choose to forgo the use of a mask. Masks can be obtained from administration.
- Adhering to proper hand hygiene according to CDC guidelines is required. Sanitization stations and signage have been added to all buildings.
- Any staff members experiencing symptoms or who have come in contact with someone experiencing symptoms must self isolate and refrain from coming onto the property.
- All staff are required to engage in cleaning and disinfecting high-touch surfaces regularly.
- Additional cleaning staff hours have been added and will continue until further notice.
- Staff travel has been cancelled to prevent exposure and staff are required to practice social distancing and isolation when not onsite.
- Isolation of any patients experiencing symptoms (programming and care will continue with minimized face-to-face contact while patients remain in their room until the end of the isolation period).
Cedars has a comprehensive, full-time staff of physicians, psychiatrists and nurses as part of our family who have been closely monitoring the situation both regionally and beyond. We are taking the following precautions to protect our patients’ health:
- Weekly, in-person updates to all patients Coronavirus COVID-19.
- Reminders to patients to maintain spatial distance between one another.
- Daily patient chart reviews and in-person sessions with patient groups on various social distancing measures.
- Patients who show any symptoms related to flu/cold are provided private accommodations in our medical unit, including in-room dining service and other entertainment amenities.
Cedars has implemented enhanced social distancing measures, including addressing high traffic areas such as the lecture hall, dining hall, and common rooms, encouraging patients and staff to maintain a 6-foot distance at all times.
- Discovery for families has been postponed until further notice.
- All continuing care programs have been moved online, for more information, please contact Bill Caldwell: email@example.com.
- All scheduled professional training sessions have been postponed until further notice.
Changes to food service are as follows:
- Multiple meal seatings for each meal to reduce line ups and facilitate social distancing.
- Increased sanitization measures throughout the day and between meal seatings.
- Removal of salad bar to reduce contact with food.
- Implementation of disposable cutlery and plates to limit exposure.
- Reconfiguration of dining hall seating.
- Kitchen closed between meal times.
Cedars will continue to implement changes as more information is released from Provincial and Federal authorities, and regular updates will be posted. For updates on the current status of the COVID-19 pandemic, you can visit the Government of Canada website.
Throughout this difficult time, we remain committed to providing care and programming to those struggling with addiction. Your full recovery is our sole purpose. Please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.